We are Friendly Aquaponics Inc. Commercial Training Affiliates.
We have updated our internship program to offer more options to our students. After lots of feedback from prior interns over the last several years we have made some changes. Some interns want a shorter length internship. These students are people that cannot step away from their lives for a full month. Other students want a full months hands on experience. We have restructured our program to include a base package plus the ability to stay for additional time for additional hands on experience:
-Base Commercial Internship Package:
1. A two week base internship package. This internship is held on our farm located in the Honaunau area of the Big Island of Hawaii. This package includes accommodations, some food, industry leading training materials, and two weeks structured, hands on learning on our Commercial Aquaponics farm. It also includes goal setting and question answering sessions with our farm manager. Two full weeks of training is more than enough for most students. It allows for plenty of time for all of the book learning plus two full weeks of hands on farming experience. See below for more details…
Price: $1950 plus tax
1. Add one week stay after your base internship ends. This additional week can be used for you to get more hands on experience working with the systems. This is your extra time on the farm and is not part of your internship. You can work with us and the systems as much or as little as you want.
Price: $350 plus tax
2. Add two weeks stay after your base internship ends. This additional two weeks can be used for you to get more hands on experience working with the systems. This is your extra time on the farm and is not part of your internship. You can work with us and the systems as much or as little as you want.
Price: $550 plus tax
3. Airport pick up/drop off: If you do not rent a car we can pick you up and drop you off. We live about 45 minutes from the airport. Price: $100 plus tax…. Please read the following statement regarding renting a car:
Please note: We recommend that you rent a car for you time here regardless of how long you are here. We live 20 minutes from the nearest town, 4 miles from the nearest store and 3 miles from the ocean. This is rural Hawaii, getting around without a car can be difficult. While our farm property and our neighborhood is beautiful being here for long periods of time without transportation can get boring for some interns. You will have mid to late afternoons and weekends off as free time so having car will give you a chance to get out and explore the Big Island. Our internships are packed full of lots of learning and lots of hands on experience with commercial Aquaponics, but you still will have some down time. Interns that do not rent a car consistently wish they did.
We offer a commercial Aquaponics learning environment like no other available. We have a real commercial Aquaponics farm that is the training grounds for our students. We combine the following to offer the best learning environment on the market:
-Small group program with no more than four interns at one time. The average for any given internship is two!
-Industry leading written training materials from our friends and mentors – Friendly Aquaponics Inc… plus a bonus training material package from us that includes sample business plans, cash flow spreadsheets (vital for getting financing!!), budgets, materials lists, and info on where to buy several industry specific items you will need.
-The best possible training grounds – A real commercial Aquaponics farm that produces hundreds of pounds of veggies per week
-Very Structured weekly schedules where our students are involved in all aspects of running the Aquaponics farm. This is real life hands-on Aquaponics farming experience!
-Set weekly small group training session with the farm owner or manager.
-Personal goal setting session with our farm owner or manager where you can begin to plan your future Aquaponics farm!
-Students leave with the knowledge, experience and training materials to start their own Aquaponics farm, taught by real commercial Aquaponics farmers!
Start Dates Available as of 10/5/2014:
We are booked through the end of 2014!!
Next available start dates
-January 2015: One spot open with a start date 01/15/15.
-February 2015: One spot open with a start date of 02/16/15
-March 2015: One spot open with a start date of 03/16/15
-April 2015: Two spots open with a start date of 04/15/15
NOte: **If you are planning on coming with a friend or partner we can accommodate two students with shared training materials and accommodations as one internship spot. We will give you a discount for the second person, please inquire for discounted price info for second students.
contact us now to secure your internship before all spots are filled!
People have come to us from all over the world to learn Aquaponics farming. Our goal is for our students to leave our farm with the knowledge needed to plan their own Aquaponics farm, learn how to run the systems on a daily basis, and see all aspects of the business including crop planning, marketing, and sales from the perspective of a working commercial Aquaponics farm.
What our students get:
1. Training Materials: Commercial Aquaponics System Training and Plans, written by our good friends and mentors at Friendly Aquaponcis Inc. This is $999 value!… plus a bonus training material package from us that includes sample business plans, cash flow spreadsheets (vital for getting financing!!), budgets, materials lists, and info on where to buy several industry specific items you will need. This is a value of $395!
2. Hands-on Aquaponics training. You will get a minimum of 20 hours per week of hands on training while working with us on our daily operation of the Aquaponics farm and business. You will be involved in all aspects including planting, filling the system with seedlings, caring for seedlings in the nursery system, harvesting, packaging, delivering, cleaning and preparing for various tasks as well as lots of daily, weekly and monthly system tasks. We will also teach you as much as you want to know about the business side of things and show you our model that includes mostly wholesale accounts with some retail and direct to retails sales as well. 20 hours is the minimum, you can participate as much as you would like and can easily get 30 to 40 hours of hands on time per week if desired. The value in this hands on this type of training is close to invaluable if you really want to learn this type of a farming and this business. You will not get this type of experience by paying for a short training of a few days. We think the best way to learn is to actually do it! The value of this experience is easily thousands of dollars! Others charge $3,000 to $5,000 for a week or two of Aquaponics training that does not include real hands on experience. We feel that this hands on experience is vital to being successful in your own Aquaponics farm business
3. One hour per week minimum of “classroom” training sessions with the farm manager(s). The classroom will really be sitting under a mango or avocado tree somewhere on the farm or while driving delivery routes if you want to see that part of the business. This time is dedicated to answering your questions. As you participate in farm and business related activities through out the week you will have lots of questions. While we answer questions as they come and while we work and we take time to explain things as we go this is extra time set aside to make sure they are all getting answered. If we were to hire ourselves out as Aquaponics consultants we would charge our customers around $150 per hour. In a month internship you will get a minimum of 8 hours of this time so we give this training a value of a minimum of $300
4. One 2-hour personal goal setting and session with our farm owner or mananger. This time is set aside just for you so that we can help you work on your individual plan for getting your own Aquaponics farm started or what ever your goals may be. This has a $300 value.
5. Accommodations. We provide private sleeping quarters, with shared kitchen, shower and farm toilet. We also supply water, electricity, propane (shower and stove) and WIFI. This has a value of over $1000
6. Some food. We allow our interns to eat from the Aquaponics system as well as what ever else is ready for harvest on the rest of the farm. Currently the Aquaponics has lots of varieties of lettuces, bok choi, green onion, herbs, watercress, bush beans. The rest of the farm has banana, mango, papaya, avocado, lilikoi (passion fruit) and macadamia nut. Most of these are seasonal so all may not be going when you get here. All other food is the responsibility of the intern. We offer a kitchen to use as well as refrigerator space. There is a grocery store 4 miles from us, and several larger chain grocery stores in town (20 minutes drive). This is another good reason to rent a car!! If you do not have a car you will have to grocery shop via the bus system or hitch hiking. Some people do it no problem but again renting a car is much easier! The exact value of the food from teh farm that we offer is hard to determine, It depends on how much you eat and what is available when you are here.
7. Pick up / Drop off at the airport: This is optional and will cost $100 extra. We live about 45 minutes from the airport. As stated above we recommend that you rent a car for your time here. If you decide not to rent a car we can pick you up and drop you off for an additional $100. Again, please note that if you do not have a car you are limited to hitch hiking or the bus system to get around. Like most things in Hawaii the bus system seems to run on its own schedule. A bus being late is not uncommon! Please let us know if you want airport pickup/drop off
8. Visiting Hawaii! We do not put a monetary value on this but we do live in a beautiful place. We are a few miles from the ocean and live above Place of Refuge and Captain Cook Bay on the Big Island of Hawaii. Kona waters are some of the calmest in the state and are world-renowned for diving and fishing. There is also a lot history and Hawaiian culture in this area. We are roughly 20 minutes south of Kailua-Kona in Beautiful South Kona District. While you are here you will have plenty of time enjoy Hawaii, snorkel, dive, fish, or just sit at the beach!!
9. On going support: We offer all of our interns, that complete our intern program in a satisfactory manner, on going support. We still talk to interns from three years ago! We will give you support via email and phone (if needed) while you go through the process of starting your first system, expanding into commercial or any other help you need. Its hard to put a value on this but this could be worth $5,000 or more depending on how much you use it…
Value and Cost:
Our students get a total value worth $11,000 to $13,000, all for a discounted price starting at $1950
We offer discounts for more than one person, please inquire. We also will consider longer internships on a per case basis, please inquire if you want a longer internship period and we will discuss this option and additional cost.
contact us to start the application process. We will send you a password protected page with lots more details and our application. Secure your spot for 2015 now!
Thanks for you interest, we look forward to training you when you are ready to learn commercial Aquaponics farming!