We offer an Aquaponics learning environment where our students stay on our Hawaii commercial Aquaponics farm from one to two months and receive comprehensive hands on training and written materials covering all aspects of Aquaponics farming and business. Our Aquaponics Training Internship program is limited to no more than 4 students at one time. This small number allows each student to get a much more personal Aquaponics learning experience compared to large group training environments.
Aquaponics Training Internship Availability as of 01/04/2014:
We are booking 2014 quickly. Our next opening is a single opening for a One month Aquaponics Training Internship with a start date of March 3rd. The next opening is a start date of May 15th 2014 with three spots available for either the One Month or Two month options. See below for details and contact us now to secure you spot! Once the March spot is gone we are booked through May 15th!
Aquaponics Training Internship details:
We have had a huge response to our Aquaponics Training Internship. People have come to us from all over the world to learn Aquaponics farming and food growing. We have upgraded our Aquaponics Training Internship and now are offering written training materials as well as structured schedules for all our interns so they can maximize their Aquaponics learning experience. Our goal for our new and improved Aquaponics Training Internship is for our students to leave our farm with the knowledge needed to plan their Aquaponics farm correctly, how to build their systems correctly, how to budget for the build out, how to run the systems correctly day in and day out, and all aspects of the business including how to figure out what to grow, how much to plant and when, who to sell it to and the various sales models that work well with commercial Aquaponics farming.
What our students get:
1. Training Materials:
- Commercial Aquaponics System Training and Plans, written by our good friends and mentors at Friendly Aquaponcis. This is $999 value!
- Aquaponics Business Training Manual, written by us. We farm with Aquaponics full time, this is how we make the bulk of our income. We are in the process of writing the first addition of a comprehensive Aquaponics Business Training Manual that will teach you how to plan and budget your farm, build your products, and several sales models that you can use to make your business thrive. This is a $699 value!
- We will be adding additional Aquaponics training materials as time goes on. As we add these all prior Aquaponics Training Internship students will be entitled to any new additions for no additional charge!
2. Hands on Aquaponics training. You will get a minimum of 20 hours of hands on training while working with us on our daily operation of the Aquaponics farm and business. You will be involved in all aspects including planting, filling the system with seedlings, caring for seedlings in the nursery system, harvesting, packaging, delivering, cleaning and preparing for various tasks as well as lots of daily, weekly and monthly system tasks. We will also teach you as much as you want to know about the business side of things and show you our model that includes mostly wholesale accounts with some retail and direct to retails sales as well. 15 hours is the minimum, you can participate as much as you would like and can easily get 30 to 40 hours of hands on time per week if desired. The value in this hands on this type of training is close to invaluable if you really want to learn this type of a farming and this business. You will not get this type of experience by paying for a short training of a few days. We think the best way to learn is to actually do it!! The value of this experience is easily thousands of dollars! Others charge $3,000 to $5,000 for a week or two of Aquaponics training that does not include real hands on experience. We feel that this hands on experience is vital to being successful in your own Aquaponics farm business
3. Two hours per week minimum of “classroom” time with the farm manager(s). The classroom will really be sitting under a mango or avocado tree somewhere on the farm or while driving delivery routes if you want to see that part of the business. This time is dedicated to answering your questions. As you participate in farm and business related activities through out the week you will have lots of questions. While we answer questions as they come and while we work and we take time to explain things as we go this is extra time set aside to make sure they are all getting answered. If we were to hire ourselves out as Aquaponics consultants we would charge our customers around $100 per hour. In a month internship you will get a minimum of 8 hours of this time so we give this training a value of a minimum of $800.
4.. Accommodations on our farm. You will get private sleeping quarters either in our “Mango Tree house” or in our “Farm Shack”. You will also have access to a shared kitchen, living area, toilet, and outdoor hot shower. We provide water, electricity, propane (shower and stove) and WIFI. A months stay has a value of over $2000.
5. Some food. We allow our interns to eat from the Aquaponics system as well as what ever else is ready for harvest on the rest of the farm. Currently the Aquaponics has lots of varieties of lettuces, bok choi, green onion, herbs, watercress, bush beans. The rest of the farm has banana, mango, papaya, avocado, lilikoi (passion fruit) and macadamia nut. Most of these are seasonal so all may not be going when you get here. Right now we have Mango and Lilikoi with avocado and banana about to be ready in the next few months as well. All other food is the responsibility of the intern. We offer a kitchen to use as well as refrigerator space. There is a grocery store 3 miles from us. We drive by this several times a week on our delivery route so we drop interns off there on a regular basis. Hitch hiking is also very common here so some interns choose to get around that way. We also do a farmers market once a week in a shopping center in town (Kailua-kona which is about 20 minutes from us). There is a large grocery store there. Interns will come with us sometimes to shop at the farmers market as well as this grocery store. Seeing how we run our farmers market booth is worth it too! There is a value to the food we provide off the farm as well as rides to the grocery store. The exact value is determined by how much you eat
6. Pick up / Drop off to/from the airport. We will pick you up and drop you off to Kailua-Kona airport. This is a value of at least $150 if you were to take a cab. Car rentals depending on time of year will average $75 to $100 per day. No need for either as we will pick you up and drop you off.
7. Visiting Hawaii! We do not put a monetary value on this but we do live in a beautiful place. We are a few miles from the ocean and live above Place of Refuge and Captain Cook Bay on the Big Island of Hawaii. Kona waters are some of the calmest in the state and are world know for diving and fishing. There is also a lot history and Hawaiian culture right in our area. We are roughly 20 minutes south of Kailua-Kona in Beautiful South Kona District. While here you will have plenty of time enjoy Hawaii, snorkel, dive, fish, or just sit at the beach!!
Value and Cost:
Our students get a total value worth $7,500 to $10,000, all for a discounted price of:
One Month Aquaponics Training Internship discount rate: $1995
Two month Aquaponics Training Internship extra discounted rate: $2995
contact us now to secure your spot before 2014 fills up! We also offer discounts for 2 or more people coming as a group, just ask us and we will send you the details.
Thanks for you interest, we look forward to training you when you are ready to learn commercial Aquaponics farming and business